Partner with your doctor
Do These Three Things to Partner with Your Doctor
Schedule an appointment
Be open and ask questions
Follow through on treatment
Questions to Ask Your Doctor
Getting answers to these questions will give you vital information about your heart health and what you can do to improve it.
1. What is my risk for heart disease?
2. What is my blood pressure? What does it mean for me and what do I need to do about it?
3. What are my cholesterol numbers? What do they mean for me and what do I need to do about them?
4. What are my body mass index (BMI) and waist measurement? Do they indicate that I need to lose weight for my health?
5. What is my blood sugar level, and does it mean I'm at risk for diabetes?
6. What other screening tests for heart disease do I need? How often should I return for checkups for my heart health?
7. What can you do to help me quit smoking?
8. How much physical activity do I need to help protect my heart?
9. What is a heart healthy eating plan for me? Should I see a registered dietitian or qualified nutritionist to learn more about healthy eating?
10. How can I tell if I'm having a heart attack?